Dan was born to Leonard S. Smith from New York City and Katherine Anne (Sterchele) Smith,
a first born American citizen also from New York City. Dan was born in Richmond Virginia in
1955, however spend most of his youth growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dan attended 2 years
at Bishop Moeller High School in Cincinnati and 2 years at St. Frances DeSales High School
in Columbus graduating in 1973. Following high school, Dan attended the University of
Dayton and was admitted into the school of Business Administration. After his freshman year
of study, Dan changed his primary area of study to pursue a dual major in Public
Relations/Communications and Photography. Late in 1975, Dan decided to focus all his
efforts on the pursuit of a BA in the Visual Arts. Dan was the first graduate coming out of the
school of Fine Arts with a concentration in photography. Dan graduated after 4 years of study
with a Bachelor of Arts in 1977. In 1979 Dan attended the Eastman Kodak School for
additional training in Medical/Scientific photographic applications. Following additional years
of study in Business Administration at the Columbus State University, Dan continued his
lifelong learning pursuits by completing his MBA in Leadership and Business Administration
from Ohio Dominican University in 2012.
After graduation, Dan was employed by The Ohio State University in the School of Veterinary
Medicine as a Medical/Scientific Photographer. In 1979, Dan left OSU to fill the position of
Chief Medical Photographer at Riverside Methodist Hospital in Columbus. After 7 years, in
1986, he left Riverside Methodist Hospital for a position at Nationwide Children's Hospital as
the Senior Medical Photographer. During his tenure at Nationwide Children's, Dan won
numerous awards in scientific/medical photography through the Biologic Photographic
Association, the Ohio Hospital Association, and National Children's Hospital Association. Dan
was recognized for his work having won international scientific images. Dan's work has also
been displayed on Capitol Hill to bring awareness to US legislators of pediatric health issues
facing children in this country.
As a result of Dan's extensive involvement and collaboration with Nationwide Children's
Hospital child abuse program, he spent many years traveling around Ohio conducting
workshops to various child protective agencies on the photography and documentation of
suspicious injuries. Dan is finishing out his photography career as a Senior Brand
Photographer in the Marketing Department and Nationwide Children's Hospital.
Dan began his Masonic career in 1986 following the birth of is first daughter Christina. He is a
- New England Lodge No. 4 F&AM and served as Master in 2015-16.
- He is a Companion of Horeb-Wright Chapter No.3 and served as High Priest of Horace
W. Wright Chapter No.226 in 1992-93, 2008-9 and 2011-12
- Dan also served as the secretary of Horace W. Wright Chapter No. 226 from 1998 to
2005 and is current;y serving as the treasurer of Horeb-Wright Chapter No. 3.
- Dan served as a DDGHP for the 11th Capitular District in 2005-07.
- Dan is companion of Columbus Council No. 8 R&SM is currently serving as their 2017-
18 Illustrious Master.
- Dan is Sir Knight in Mt. Vernon Commandery No. 1 Knights Templar and is currently
serving in the line of officers for that masonic body.
- He is a member of the Valley of Columbus AASR having joined in 2007 and takes part
in the conferral of the 32nd degree.
- Dan became a noble of Aladdin Shrine in 1989 and is an active member of the Shrine
Additional Masonic bodies include:
- Frank H. Nicolas Council #216 Affiliated Masonic Degrees (AMD) and had served as
Sovereign Master in 2016.
- Dan is currently serving in the officer line of Thomas Smith Webb York Rite Sovereign
Collage # 192
- Dan is also currently serving in the officer line of St. Brendan Council #113 of Knight
Chapter Of Ohio
Grand Chapter Royal Arch Masons of Ohio